First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
DVD CCA, DVD CSS
- Claims encryption used to access certain DVDs as a trade secret (embedded in all DVD players and on CD)
- Claims open source tools which can read DVDs are "circumvention devices" under the USA's DMCA
- I suggest that the DVD-CCS doing is 'tied selling' under our competition act and should be found illegal
Intellectual Property Enforcement Guidelines (IPEG)
- Indicates that IP supersedes competition currently
- Gives bad example of file format question. Interfaces should not be offered monopoly.
The DVD CCA case was featured in my copyright consultation reply to the Canadian Motion Pictures Distributors Association (CMPDA) submission.
The Competition Bureau's Intellectual Property Enforcement Guidelines (IPEG) was featured in a section of my Innovation Strategy submission: