305 Southcrest Private
Voice: (613) 733-5836|
Personal WEB: http://www.flora.ca/russell/
I am writing this letter to introduce myself as an Internet Consultant and
Systems Administrator. The software I offer services around is generally
known as Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS). Interoperability
between communications tools is necessary to keep information flowing
between you and your customers. I recognize that FLOSS and the Internet
are two co-dependent disruptive technologies which are radically changing
how businesses and citizens communicate.
I have more than two decades experience with computer communications, including the TCP/IP protocols and the Internet since 1994, in the
following key areas (details at: http://www.flora.ca/experience.shtml):
As an individual I have a belief in sustainable development, and human
rights and freedoms (especially in relation to electronic communications).
As well as a technical consultant, I am involved in non-technical
consultations and presentations promoting FLOSS services, business models
and public policy. It is my experience with FLOSS which differentiate my
business from many of my competitors.
- UNIX administration including: Linux (primary since 1993), SunOS, Solaris, BSD.
- World Wide Web server installation and maintenance.
- WEB information gateways to databases and application servers.
- Electronic forms, WWW server scripting and automatic HTML generation.
- Internet Service Provider (ISP) services including: SMTP/POP/IMAP
Email services, LDAP authentication, NNTP News services, Gopher services, FTP services, DNS/HESIOD name services including knowledge in configuring full virtual domain services for Email/WEB/etc.
- Geospatial services, focusing on the Open Source Geospatial stack of software (Mapserver, Tilecache, OpenLayers, GDAL/OGR). Some experience with non-FLOSS products such as those from ESRI (ArcGIS desktop and server, ArcSDE and ArcSDE's SDK), and Google (Google Maps API).
- Programming languages including: PHP, C, PERL, Assembly, SCHEME
- Source management systems including: RCS, CVS, Subversion
- Internet client software configuration.
- File-system sharing using NFS (Network File System) and CIFS/SMB (Common Internet File System / Server Message Block) via Samba.
- Managing/using database servers (MySQL, PostgreSQL, limited Oracle experience, etc).
- TCP/IP Internetworking including LAN cabling, WAN router configuration, DSL, and dial-up IP services, ISDN/DSL Terminal Adapters, Modems and Routers, Firewalls.
- Alternate network transport mechanisms including UUCP and FTN technologies.
I invite you to browse information available on my WEB server, as this can
better demonstrate my abilities. I offer an introduction to my business model at: http://www.flora.ca/intro.shtml